If you are anything like me, you really enjoy entertaining. You will find a reason to entertain. However, if you are also like me, you dread the stressful process of throwing the perfect soiree. So, here are some tips on what to do and what not to do to entertain like a natural!
1. Don’t put all of your food in one place. You want to spread the food around the kitchen or the area where you want people to gather. People are naturally magnets to food and drinks and that is where they will gather. Make sure you put your bar/drink area separate from your food, because again, people will gather around these areas and it will create a crowded mess if everyone is stuffed in one little area. You don’t have to have a huge house/entertainment space to entertain with ease! As long as you arrange the seating, food, drinks etc. properly, it will be a success in any size space.
2. Don’t skimp on the small details. A lot of people forget little things that can set the mood for the party. Dimmed lighting can really make your guests at ease rather than a harsh lighting as soon as they arrive. Use candles to provide some of the lighting. Play music in the background. You don’t have to hire a DJ to do this. You can play some light jazz or music of your choice at a low volume through a bluetooth speaker and it will really relax your guests.
3. Don’t use a recipe for the first time. If you are like me, you get excited to entertain and can get caught up in the moment and want to make all these cool, yummy dishes. However, if you can avoid it, try to only make dishes that you have made before. That way you know what your result is going to be (unless you just screw it up) ha!
4. Don’t wait until the last minute to prepare a dish. There are so many dishes, from entrees to appetizers that can be prepared hours, sometimes days in advance for easy assembly or baking on the day of the party. You should be spending the last hour before guests arrive getting yourself, spouse, etc ready. Have a glass of wine and relax!
5. It is always fun to create a signature drink for your guests. It doesn’t have to be an alcoholic drink either! A signature punch, martini, fruit tea, etc. that you’ve made specifically for the party make your guests feel like you’ve gone the extra mile and it doesn’t take that much more effort. For example, if you are having alcoholic drinks, you can give your guests the choice of beer, wine and a signature cocktail. If it is a themed party, match the cocktail with the theme. For non-alcoholic options, you can offer water, lemonade, iced/hot tea and a signature fruit punch or fruit tea.
6. Whether it is a plated/seated dinner or simply some delicious finger foods, try to use disposable plates, cups, etc. This will save you a lot of time after the party cleaning up. If you are like me, you spend the party dreading the clean up later. There are so many cute disposable options now!
Like these from Party Trends